Saturday, September 22, 2007

Got my eyes on ya!


Ever been to Egypt? The land of the larger than life pyramids. Hmm I had gone there for a vacation once. And I say every artist should go there at least once. And while you there spend a minimum of 3 days at the Cairo museum. That's where all the awesome looking goodies are. Don't forget to carry your drawing pad and paper. :)
On my trip there I visited the Valley of the kings. The Valley of the Kings contains many of the tombs of pharaohs including Tutankhamun and Ramesses the Great.
In one of the tombs there, I think Ramesses VI's tomb I saw paintings done by the Egyptian artists on the ceiling and the walls. And I was struck speechless at the quality of the detailed artwork. The same motif was perfectly hand painted time after time with a steady hand. I was completely awestruck. It is here I noticed a lot of "eyes" painted all around. Apparently according to an Egyptian assumption the sun and the moon were considered to be the eyes of the great god who created the world and sustained it. That's why they have eyes painted in most of their pictures.
And knowing my habit of drawing eyes all the time I turned to my sister and proudly told her " I must have been an Egyptian artist in my last life" ... Tee hee! I can have my fantasies right? :)
The illustration above is a Digitally modified version of one of my doodles.
Hmm someone asked me why convert all the artwork to desktop wallpapers.. Well cheeky me replied " This way I get to swoon at my artwork" :D
Feel free to use it as your desktop wallpaper, contact me if you wish to use it for commercial purposes. :)

0 comments: